Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Rain

When it rains it pours! At least yesterday it did. It seemed like a monsoon hit or something. Good thing I'm not living in the south of China where they actually do have them. Anyways, I was craving some non-Chinese food, so I decided to head to McDonalds (you know, I've never had a hamburger here in China). The rain had stopped but there were huge puddles everywhere...mud puddles included since most of China is under construction. I thought about walking ('cause I could use the exercise and I like to walk) but then remembered that there is an underpass you have to go thru and it floods when it rains...so I caught the bus. It looked like everyone else had the same idea. The bus was crowded. The bus drove to the underpass and stopped. The driver said something in Chinese, and everybody started getting off. Ummm....I wasn't sure what to do. I must have had a confused look on my face because a lady looked at me and smiled and then said something in Chinese (like that's going to help me. lol). What could I do? So I did what everybody else did...got off the bus and walked through the underpass to the other side.

Now don't go thinking that I waded through the water...I didn't. I walked on a path under the railroad tracks to the other side. haha. It was pretty funny. Did I mention that the underpass has been underconstruction since I got here? Well it has. So the path I walked on was about 8-10 feet high and you have to walk around and over construction materials. haha. It was so funny...and everybody was doing it. lol. So I followed the rest of the people to the other side of the underpass. On the way I decided I might as well just walk, but when I got to the other side, the bus, #26, was at the bus stop. So I got back on the bus (nobody was paying, so I didn't either) and recognized my fellow bus mates. Come to find out, the first bus driver dropped us off and we were to walk to the other side of the underpass and get on another bus, because the road was closed off. haha. I laughed the rest of the night about it. That's China for you. haha.

In case you were wondering, I did make it to McDonald's and I finally had a hamburger. A cucumber hamburger sandwich to be exact. And.....I had a rainbow!!! (If you've ever been to Pace's Dairy Ann in Bountiful, you'll know what I am talking about). McDonald's is now selling rainbows...well sort of. It is made with sprite, not the fruit flavored drink....but it was close enough! Boy was it good!! I can now say I've had a hamburger in China. :)

1 comment:

tiare said...

OH MY HECK! i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE rainbows. we used to make special trips up to pace's. i'm glad you got to have something from utah in china! ha ha. i've loved reading about all of your adventures.
crazy that you are going to be home so soon....
let us know if you need a place to stay. here's our blogsite: gloverjourneys.blogspot.com.